Whats Happened In SEO
Over the last few months there has been a few new updates, the latest Panda, plus the upgraded Pay Day Loans update, which performs much like Penguin from all the sites I have seen.
Going forward not much has changed. I will write a detailed post on the theory behind these actions at some point. But for the most part, this is what I am doing:
- Rule 1 – Build links from relevant sites only. (Most safe).
- Rule 2 – Never repeat anchor text. (Reduces risk).
- Break rule 1, only from super high trust sites, and then do not use exact match anchors.
- Break rule 2, only with brand anchor text (if your site is not an EMD) and with generics (Click here, learn more, visit this site etc).
- Slow and steady wins the race.
- Control as many of your links as possible (IE buy them, own them, be able to remove the links at a moments notice).
- Use social lockers to get more shares.
- Have social share links on all pages (Use a call to action, offer a bonus etc for people who share).
- Social shares largely validate links.
- Going forward everyone wants to build brands. They are the most sustainable way to rank.
- Make sure you have active social profiles. Facebook, twitter, youtube, g+.
- Cultivate as many brand searches as possible. Be creative.
- Make sure all of your sites have authorship. Do not abuse it, don’t tag all pages with authorship.
Layout, design and site speed
- Site speed is as important as ever. Make sure your sites load fast. This means do not use Blue host, host gator or any of the other main hosts for your money site. They are too slow.
- Use page caching in wordpress in increase site speed.
- Use a responsive layout.
- Make sure each page on your site has unique content. This means writing excerpts. Possibly means noindex, following category pages.
- More content is better. Larger pages rank better. Larger sites rank easier.
- Design, user experience and how your site performs (user metrics) are incredibly important nowadays.
- Low amount of ads above the fold (One ad block only).
- Low amount of boilerplate content (IE don’t have a massive sidebar with hundreds of links on it that appear on every page.)
- Content length is important. Longer pages rank better.
- Fresh content is important. Update your pages often.
- Write titles for CTR. Become a copywriter. Sites that get clicked more in the serps rank higher and are deemed more relevant.
- Use Google analytics and WMT. Google can get all the data, dont try and hide. You might as well spoon feed them good data than risk them sending bad data.
- Outlinks to trusted sites definitely help you rank higher.
- Less links are needed now than ever before. If you can spoon feed a lot of the other signals to Google, you will rank without links.
- Bounce rate and time on site appear to be less important than I thought before. However, I think click through rate and bounce back to the serp are hugely important at the moment.
Business is going good. Last month I broke the £20k a month barrier ($34k) which is my all time top money earning month. This month things are going a bit slower but I am on pace to do £16k this month.
I have earnt enough money to pay off the mortgage on my house. Big celebrations for this are needed.
I am considering writing a book about competitive SEO and what it takes to rank in the most competitive niches in the world. To make it worth my while, I will probably be selling it for a high price $100+, perhaps as much as $300. But I think the value of such book would be incredibly valuable because it will essentially lay out a step by step blueprint that I have used to make the kind of money I make via affiliate SEO.
If you would be interested in that, please leave a comment, so I can gauge the interest.